About Ricki Lake
Ricki Lake, mother of 2, has managed to successfully reinvent herself at every stage of her career. As “Tracy Turnblad,” the heroine of the original John Waters’ film HAIRSPRAY, Lake made an acting debut that positioned her as an “entertainer to watch” in Hollywood. Later, with a surprise turn as a talk show host, she met with unprecedented success and earned her place as a pop culture icon whose voice has remained relevant and relatable for nearly two decades.
Most recently, responding to the fact that for the first time in our nation’s history, our younger generation is expected to have a shorter lifespan than their parents, Ricki launched Allstride.com, a program and online community created to help children and their families deal with the growing epidemic of childhood obesity. Along with Dr. John Monaco , Ricki wrote Too Small to Be Big, the Allstride Solution. The book goes beyond just explaining the problem, it lays out a simple, realistic approach to help kids lose weight, prevent and reverse health issues caused by over-eating and under-activity, boost energy and self confidence – and literally save their lives! It’s an in-depth introduction to the AllStride program, and a valuable resource that includes:
- The real reason diets don’t work – and why most exercise plans are a total waste of time. (You won’t hear this from your doctors or pediatrician!)
- Why kids need to eat MORE to lose weight.
- The truth about calories – and why you need to forget everything you’ve been told about food and weight.
- A little-known, exercise-free way to boost kids’ metabolism. (Hint: It’s yummy!)
- The one word that will change your entire family’s attitude about fitness. (It works even if you don’t say it out loud.)
- The key to helping kids deal with social problems, in and out of school.
- How to lose weight along with your child – without even trying.
- How doctors and the weight loss industry sabotage weight loss for kids. And why YOU hold the key to your child’s success.
- Plus behind-the-scenes details of Ricki’s struggles as an overweight child, the ups and downs her acting career, her talk show success, and how it all led to discovering her life purpose!
- And the true story of how a team of health care experts decided to fight the biggest health threat our children face today – resulting in the acclaimed AllStride online program!
Ricki has also become an independent filmmaker. In 2007, Ricki executive produced the critically acclaimed documentary THE BUSINESS OF BEING BORN. The film, which debuted at the Tribeca Film Festival, examines natural childbirth in the U.S. and studies the high rate of medical interventions in low-risk pregnancies. In 2009, Ricki and the director of THE BUSINESS OF BEING BORN, Abby Epstein, released their first book, Your Best Birth, which has proven to be an invaluable tool designed to educate families about their birthing options.
Currently, Ricki lives in Los Angeles with her two sons, Milo and Owen, ages 16 and 12.